Monday, June 6, 2016

Dropping Ballast, and Revving Up Again

I'm going public on this, if, for no other reason, it will help me feel more accountable for my goal.

The media is chock-full of accounts of celebrities and public figures who struggle with their weight and physical fitness.  When they shed significant poundage, we cheer...and then we feel an almost sadistic glee when they fall back into the pit of overweight.

I'm going on record, for whomever cares to know, that I've rejoined Weight Watchers.  In 2005-2006, I was able to get rid of almost 50 pounds and keep it off.  When a person is 5'0" and tiny-framed, there's not much room for error...and midlife metabolism is unforgiving of too many late night stress eating and carb-oholic binges.  Still, I went to many, many meetings and did the online program, and it showed.

Then, the domino effect began in 2012...caring for my mom as she slid steadily into her dementia...my knee injury in 2013, back-to-back with the onset of severe rheumatoid arthritis...my brother's terminal illness...it was all such a whirlwind that I didn't stop to see what a toll it was taking on my psyche and body.

On this past Sunday, as part of the enrollment process, I sucked it up, took a breath, and stepped on my scale with fear and dread.

173.  Seeing that number really, really hurt.  But so do my feet...and my knees...and my pride.  I want to walk again, dance again, date again.

It's been the end of Day Two of my online program.  I've got the Weight Watcher app on my phone to keep track of what I eat.  This morning, I had a phone session with a coach who has kept 75 pounds off for about six years.  And I've got the little awards from my previous Weight Watchers program as a reminder that a do-over is possible, and that this time, I will be able to sustain my success.

Thanks for letting me share this.





No comments:

Post a Comment