Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Six Pounds Gone

Following up on my June 6 post, I'm down 6 pounds....a good start.  I do feel an ever-so-slight difference in my jeans, especially the waist band.  And so, victory begins.

In addition to being mindful of the Smart Points, I'm also logging as many Fit Points as I can, considering my schedule and my daily pain level with my arthritis.  I figure that a plan of as much walking as I can manage, followed by a cup of soothing herbal tea in the evening and a lovely warm bath or soak in my complex's jacuzzi to soothe the joints...that's the way to really treat myself.

Last Saturday night, I got really brave and went to a local dance studio, where I faced a big fear -- that of (gasp!) ballroom dancing.  Born to a generation that just got out on a dance floor and did a solo "whatever," learning the two-step and some confusing variations--that was an exercise in bravery!  Our teacher is a very sweet and patient lady, and she gave those of us (including me) who were struggling with the coordination of feet and steps, lots of kudos and told us to be patient with ourselves.

This Saturday, I'm going to try it again--this time to a salsa beat.  Our teacher assured us that this style will be simpler.  Certainly it will be more up-tempo, and more calories will get expended.  If only I could find a regular dance partner, not only to accompany me to this studio, but to practice with during the week so I can get really good,,,also someone who is aware I have issues with relaxing and following a lead.   Anyway, I want to just have a bit of fun, and not take this activity so seriously.   I even posted about this on my Yelp page.

Utilizing my love of travel and history, I got up even earlier than usual last Sunday, and drove up to Leadville.  It's one of the towns that has been on my radar since moving here last year, since it was an integral part of Colorado's formation into statehood.  I began by attending Mass at the landmark Annunciation Church, which has its own history, including being where Margaret (the "unsinkable Molly") Brown was married. This is where I really got a walking workout, especially along Harrison Avenue, taking in the Tabor Opera House tour, ducking down a few side streets to look at the Tabor House Museum, the "House of the Eye," and a sweet little antique shop named Sweet Betsy's From Pike.  And then (with the aid of my Weight Watchers app!), I enjoyed a sesame chicken sandwich, paired nicely with a Killian's Red at the Historic Silver Dollar Saloon (again, reviewed on my Yelp page).  Before heading home, I spent the last two hours at the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum.  If only I had been here in the days when Son and I were taking regular tours of museums.  It's such an educational and inspiring place!  Front and center, right at the entrance, is a display of Rhodochrosite, the beautiful Colorado state mineral.

By the time I was finished with this part of my day, the Mining Museum was ready to close, and my knee was beginning to say, "I'm done for now."  So, I headed back home, and felt that it had been a great day on many levels.







No comments:

Post a Comment