Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Brain Food

OK, first, another pound gone buh-bye.  When I got on the scale yesterday (I've designated Monday as my weekly weigh-in day), I was a little disappointed it wasn't more.  Then I realized that, as long as the number keeps decreasing, and I start actually feeling better, then I resolve to look at this weight-loss effort as a process, not some race.  And so it is -- my waistbands are not pinching now, and every pound gone is one I'm not lugging around anymore.

Anyway, my writing!  What can I say except that the creative pipeline is clogged somewhat.   I wouldn't call it a "block," because lots of ideas are swirling around in my brain, but I would say the energy is running low.  Usually, once I start clicking away at my laptop, the blog or article usually "writes itself."  So, I've taken some time off as a reset, and here are some of the random things I'm indulging in just to get the juices flowing again:
  • Sunday getaways -- Last Sunday, I went to early Mass and then hit C-470 up to Golden.  My destination--Lookout Mountain, and the Buffalo Bill burial site and museum.  My timing was a little off; the whole region was beginning a heat spell, and by the time I headed home in the late afternoon, my car thermostat was registering 106.  I came prepared with sunscreen and water, though, and chalked up trudging up the steep hill to pay my respects to Mr. Cody as good exercise.  At the end of the day, the visit entitled me to log lots of Fit Points in my Weight Watchers app.  It also happened to be Father's Day, and I like the way Johnny Baker, Cody's "foster son" and longtime friend, was honored near the entrance of the museum, including for his role in getting this museum founded.  I wholeheartedly recommend this site to anyone, especially for those who are fellow history enthusiasts
          I've already mentioned my Leadville trip in the previous entry.  Next stop--Steamboat Springs.  I've checked out the Facebook page they have up dedicated to weekend rodeos, and so, I'm going, ASAP.  The point to all these trips is to finally, after a year of settling into Littleton, explore the places I have listed on my refrigerator.  Colorado is such a treasure-trove of history!  And the drives through the countryside plant wonderful, refreshing images in my brain.  Inspiration comes in so many forms, subtle and obvious.  I just want to open the sensory gates, and let it all in.


  • NPR --  Part of the benefits of Colorado Public Radio is having access to quality programming, especially in this particularly divisive campaign year.  Besides being made aware of national and global issues, like the Venezuela crisis, there are also opportunities for exposure to arts that are not aired on regular networks.  I recommend that everyone go on YouTube and watch/listen to Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble--almost like musical diplomacy.  Also on CPR, I find Open Air's "new music" to be a welcome switch from mainstream pop stations.  As much as I've loved classical music for years, I'm finding that staying relevant to the upcoming generations is so important, especially through their music.
  • Line dancing -- After nearly a year, when I stopped dancing to give my knee a rest, I'm ready to get back out there again.  Besides the fun exercise, I feel a need to socialize again on Saturday nights.
  • Self-care -- there's nothing like the jacuzzi after work, these trips and partying to soothe the muscles and get a good night's sleep.  And, since sleep is an important restorative function, it can also benefit my creative functioning.
So, let the summer begin, and let's all enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment