Saturday, May 21, 2016

Back Again -- With Apologies




I feel more than a little embarrassed.  When I started blogging way back in September 2009 (https://drladyprof.wordpress.com/), I did so in a tentative way, as if lending my voice to the collective chorus was somehow self-indulgent.  It was enjoyable, though, and a way for me, inherently shy, to have a voice.  "More important" matters got in the way, and soon "drladyprof" was just another page on the web, forgotten.

On June 30, 2010, www.sagehippiephd.blogspot.com made its appearance.  This time I got a little bolder, sharing a link on my Facebook page, and was pleased when the posting got approval from my friends.  After I had settled in Colorado for awhile, that blog morphed into its current edition.

The truth is -- a successful blog is, in the best sense of the word, a relationship.  All of us have "friends" of various degrees -- the familiar Starbucks barista, or the neighbor in our complex with whom we exchange pleasantries and promises to "get together sometime."

And then--there are those who are really "there for you."  They listen.  And they show up.  I have to rat myself out here; I haven't been showing up.  Friends show up even when life throws difficulties at them, or at those around them.

I remember a professor in my doctoral program saying, "You've got to find your voice."  Writing has been my voice, and an inner voice has been nagging me, "If you're a writer,  just write, dammit!"

Someone was paying attention even when I wasn't.  Recently, I got a gracious invitation from Margaret Manning at the site, "Sixty and Me," inviting me to begin submitting pieces for women about issues important to them.  As of today, I've been promoted to the status of "Featured Contributor."  This is a validation of what I've been doing, but it's also a reminder of what I withhold from others when I don't "show up," online or elsewhere.

So, this weekend, I'm going to be taking a hard look at my daily schedule, and make showing up a priority, a labor of love.  Sixtyandme.com/author/valarie-cascadden/




No comments:

Post a Comment