Friday, July 15, 2016

Because it's SCARY!


Awhile back, I told you that I have resolved to try to learn something new everyday.  So far, so good...with the daily news (good or bad), efforts to promote my writing, reading more and consuming network television less, going on frequent trips around Colorado, and engaging in friendly conversation wherever I can...it's all adding up.

Now, my next goal is to break out of my comfort zone.  How I plan to do this is to deliberately do things I either have longed to do, or have been to scared to try:

  • Rock climbing  --  this past week, I had the chance to go to an indoor facility and watch people of various ages defy gravity, and scale the walls with the toe holds, and then seemingly float to the mat below with their rope.  Suddenly, I was fascinated, and was surprised by my thoughts of I could do this, too!  As I departed, I was astonished to hear myself tell the front-desk staffer, "I'll be back to try this."  He probably didn't believe me, but I want to surprise him.
  •  Zip-lining --  I really, really hate heights.  But I love the beautiful views in the areas around the Rockies, awakened with my recent trip to Leadville.  So, I want to face this fear, and get an adrenaline rush.  Maybe I can find a group to go rafting with, too.
  • Motorcycle riding --  okay, here's where you're going to think I've totally taken leave of my senses.  For quite a while now, I've thought about finding friends who would introduce me to riding one of those beautiful classic Harleys.  Don't laugh, but my parents would not permit me to learn how to ride a harmless pedal bike (I'll spare you the long story about their over-protection), so I probably would be the passenger in this scenario.  I've googled a website, www.MotorcycleRoads.com, and found a wealth of biking events where I could make some connections.
Eventually, I'll think of other things I'd like to try in 2016.  For now, it's time for sleep and to prepare for my work day tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment